Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Olympic Trials: A Circumspect Review

Hello All,

The last two weeks have been quite hectic with five races of varying distances from 1.7km to 50km. To say it was eventful is an understatement. I improved with every effort, though I didn't race as fast as I needed to.

Here is a brief summary with comments about my racing:

15km Skate Race - Sovereign Lakes, BC is a great course. Flowing quite well, this course challenges your climbing and flat-terrain skiing ability. I finished middle of the pack, 15th Canadian.

1.1km Skate Sprint - Also at Sovereign Lakes, this race was a disaster. I felt efficient and powerful, but with a very competitive field of 130, I finished 46th in the prologue. Only the top-30 go into the elimination rounds; this was the end of my day.

1.7km Classic Sprint - This longer sprint in Canmore proved to be my best races of the season to date. Each prologue I qualified in the middle (18th and 16th) and advanced the first day to the B-Final, while the second day I was eliminated in a mishap. With each race I felt stronger and more comfortable.

50km Classic - One of the Traditional XC Skiing races, this proved to be quite difficult. With 10-laps of a 5km track in Canmore, the course was challenging physically and mentally. My goal was to ski technically very well and try to maintain pacing. My lap times slowed during the Lap 6,7,8 which hurt my overall time. A partial success, this race was a good learning experience.

Signed,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment