Sunday, October 25, 2009

Perseverance Trail Run


The Strathcona Nordics fared well at a recent local running race in the Village of Cumberland. Situated on the western edge of the Comox Valley, Cumberland was a mining community in years' past. Surrounded by impeccable Mountain Biking trails (some would say insane) it attracts avid trail runners, hikers and Mountain Bikers. This years' Perseverance Trail Run covered 10km through single-track trail. Weaving from cut lines and through creekbeds this race was great fun!
Those from the ski club in attendance fared quite well, although some lacked much needed downhill running skills (mostly me). Andrea Lee finished the course in 58:50 clinching the Women's Overall category while Michael Ravensberger clocked a 51:23 time to finish 5th Overall in Men's (both in Photo above). I managed to stay on the podium after a disastrous downhill running leg; something to improve on. At the top of the course, after about 25 minutes of climbing I was comfortably in 2nd place, trying to put some time on my pursuers. Within a kilometer after starting the roughly 3km descent I was passed; this guy clocked my like I was standing still. I tried to gather momentum, but could feel my jarring legs against rocks and stumps. Alas it was not to be; I recovered some time during the last 2km flat section. Ending up 3rd in 50:31 I was satisfied with my first running race in over 5 years. It is always quite enjoyable to experience new events to liven training and get 'race' atmosphere.

Signed,

I'm too chill to run downhill.


No comments:

Post a Comment